folder compression issue

I am using Debian Mate with the GUI.

in Caja file manager, right click on the desired folder.
"Compress" is displayed on a list of options.
default is .tar.gz format

this works fine, I do it regularly ... mostly big folders, ~11.4 GB and ~2,400 items.

now I am following the same method with a 389.3 MB folder, and 305 items.
at about 2/3 thru the process I get a popup "An error occurred while adding files to the archive."

there is tons of disk space, huge RAM, and my 10 GB Swap partition is nearly empty.

I have copied that same folder to various locations, tried it with Stable and SID and even Linux Mint. Same problem. It seems to be unique to this folder, or something in it.

Ideas?

should I file a bug report?