Re: Bullseye - who and users return nothing

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 01:06:42PM +0000, Gareth Evans wrote:
> Just realised I gave contradicting info earlier - I said both that I upgraded from Buster (which is literally true) and that
>
> "But for root on ZFS per
>
> https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/Getting%20Started/Debian/Debian%20Buster%20Root%20on%20ZFS.html (adjusted for Bullseye)  <<<<<<
>
> ..."
>
> which isn't, because Bullseye arrived via dist-upgrade, rather than a fresh installation.
>
> My mistake may have prompted Andrei's suggestion which I then explained away partly in relation to having upgraded - sorry.

I don't know anything about ZFS.  That said, it's *conceivable* that
your / ownership has been broken this entire time, and you never noticed
until now.  Either because you never ran "who", or because systemd in
buster didn't check the parent directory ownerships, but the one in
bullseye does.

Food for thought.

(It's not clear to me how setting up ZFS on / would involve your
unprivileged username, though.  Sounds more like a "boot from rescue
media and do everything in a root shell" sort of job.  So I'm more
inclined to think the damage was done by some sort of backup/recovery
gone wrong, as previously speculated.)