Re: Where do I find the definitive man page for mdadm?

On Sat, Nov 13, 2021 at 08:37:19PM -0700, Tom Dial wrote:
> Device UUIDs are kind of ugly, but in my experience they are stable
> across both OS updates and physical movement of the file systems they
> contain as long as what is copied is the disk partition. I do not think
> copying a file system (e. g., with cp)  to a new (partitioned) disk
> would retain the block device UUID. My practice has been to copy raw
> partitions, to a new disk, then expand the file system as appropriate.

Copying the contents of a file system, by using rsync or cp -a or
similar commands, would not retain the file system's UUID.

Copying the raw file system itself, by using "cp /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1"
or similar, should copy the file system's UUID over along with the
contents, and the empty space, and the deleted data, and so on.

I don't know anything about "block device UUIDs".