Solved! Re: pulseaudio only finds one sink but alsa shows all

Success!

I copied the default.pa file into my local .config and uncommented the
line:

load-module module-alsa-sink

Initially, I tried adding device= options to this line (as the manual
suggests) but I could not get the right incantation.  Without it, PA
found the device just fine as a possible sink although, funnily enough,
it does not appear in the configuration tab of pavucontrol...

I did leave the udev module, as Didier suggested.

I did have to use alsamixer to adjust the volume (to the maximum,
letting PA then have control up to that maximum).

Thank you all for the help in solving this mystery.  I remain wondering
why it stopped working last year... but it's good to have some mystery
left. ;-)

eric

--
Eric S Fraga with org 9.5.2 in Emacs 29.0.50 on Debian 11.2