Re: pulseaudio only finds one sink but alsa shows all

Le jeudi 30 décembre 2021 à 00:04 +0000, Eric S Fraga a écrit :
> On Wednesday, 29 Dec 2021 at 20:39, Georgi Naplatanov wrote:
> > When PulseAudio Volume Control (pavucontrol) is started can you see
> > audio devices on "Configuration" tab?
>
> Hi Georgi,
>
> no, that's the problem.  The configuration tab only shows the HDMI
> audio
> device.

Sorry to insist, but do you mean that the configuration tab only
*lists* HDMI even if you click on the HDMI profile?
Or that this tab only *shows* the (HDMI) by-default profile if you do
not click on it, so not *listing* anything?

> > In PulseAudio Volume Control application (Playback tab) you can see
> > all
> > audio streams and applications being played and in case of multiple
> > sound devices you can set each sound stream to which sound device
> > to be
> > played.
>
> Yes, understood; unfortunately only the single output is available,
> either here or in the configuration tab.
>
> The list of modules itemised via pavucontrol includes alsa so I am
> not
> sure why I cannot see the devices that alsa knows about.  It's a
> mystery
> (to me, at least).

>From what I understand, but I am not sure I understand correctly,
Pulseaudio won't use devices already used by Alsa. So, for example, if
you have a media software setup that declares to use alsa instead of
Pulseaudio, while you use that software, Pulseaudio cannot access the
devices used by Alsa (not sure of that).

> thank you,
> eric

If your (media softwares and Alsa) setup does not prevent the use of
Pulseaudio, I would imagine that you simply have to switch the profile
in the configuration tab (between "HDMI" and something roughly called
"Stereo Analog Duplex" or something like that)

As a side note, in a terminal you will obtain a full blown report on
Pulseaudio with the pa-info or pactl list something commands (cf
respective manpages)

Another way of doing things would be to split (simultaneous playing)
the audio output between your monitor speakers (Nvidia, HDMI) and your
headphones (Intel analogic card, mini-jack). The Pulseaudio doc gives
some hints there:
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/FAQ/#caniusepulseaudiotoplaybackmusicontwosoundcardssimultaneously