Re: Dell Latitude E6520 laptop lockup

David Christensen composed on 2021-12-27 21:05 (UTC-0800):

> I moved the Debian 10 system disk to an Intel DQ67SW motherboard with an
> Intel Core i7-2600S processor and Intel HD Graphics 2000.  It played ~90
> minutes of Amazon video flawlessly.  I believe Debian 10 is now using
> the i915 graphics driver (?):

All Intel IGPs made in more than the past two decades have depended on the i915
kernel device driver (module) for maximum Xorg performance since more than 15
years ago. Those older than about 2006 or so require the intel DDX[1] display
driver for Xorg (& Wayland?[4]). Newer ones can usually use either the intel DDX
display driver, or the newer technology modesetting DIX[2] driver, for maximum
performance in (either) X. All DDX drivers and the DIX driver depend on a loaded
hardware-specific kernel device driver that provides KMS[3] services.

[1] Device Dependent Xorg (display driver)
[2] Device Independent Xorg (Wayland; display driver)
[3] Kernel ModeSetting (Mode Setting)
[4] I have no idea whether Wayland is supported on older IGPs that require the
intel DDX.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata