Re: Slow disk reads - exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x6b0000 SErr 0x0 action 0x0

On Friday, December 24, 2021 10:31:43 AM EST rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, December 23, 2021 05:30:32 PM Alexander V. Makartsev wrote:
> > You can review SMART attributes which keep track of device's health and
> > metrics.
> > This utility is part of "smartmontools" package.
> >
> > Run this one-liner to see values of relevant attributes:
> >      $ sudo smartctl -A /dev/sda | grep -E '5 Realloc|183 Runtime|197
> >
> > Current|199 UDMA'
>
> I'm not the OP, and not  very familiar with smartmon / smartctl, but I ran
> the recommended command on the two disks in my oldest system, and the
> results are posted below.  (Aside: at some point, in the near future, I'll
> read the relevant manpage to better understand that output.)
>
> I also see the advice from Dave Christensen on additional tests to run and
> will try those in the near future, ideally next week.
>
> /dev/sda is an SSD (which hold my system and doesn't get much writing),
> /dev/sdb is an HDD (which holds my "user data").
>
> Should I be worried?
>
> root@s19:~# smartctl -A /dev/sda | grep -E '5 Realloc|183 Runtime|197
>
> > Current|199 UDMA'
>
>   5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   036    Pre-fail  Always
> -       0

Yes, and that 36 should be watched, any increase means that drive is on its
way out. Usually quicker than next week. I'd replace it just for S&G, but
today I'd replace it with an SSD, not spinning rust. Among other things the
SSD is around 4x faster. I just had a new 2t spinning rust go belly up in the
night, so I now boot from a 500G SSD, and put in 4 1T SSD's in a raid10 for
/home.

[...]

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)