Re: qmail package in bullseye

황병희 wrote:
> > 3) Build and install qmail from your preferred source tree.

And I've seen your posts on the qmail list, so you should
definitely take their advice on which version to use.

> > 4) Set up the symlink from /usr/sbin/sendmail to /var/qmail/bin/sendmail
> >    or wherever you placed the qmail programs.

Most of the source tree's install instructions will remind you
to do this.

> > 5) Set up whatever method you prefer to start qmail at boot time.

Note that Debian has daemontools, daemontools-run, and s6 (a
daemontools-like system) available in stable. These are slightly
different from the pure cr.yp.to instructions, but very easily
adaptable.

> > Please note that the original qmail-smtpd is NOT good to use without
> > patching or replacing.  It was written in an era when spam was only
> > beginning to be a threat.  If you run qmail-smtpd on the Internet, you
> > WILL become a joe-job spam bouncer, and we don't want that.

In particular, Debian has the mailfront package, which is Bruce
Guenter's qmail-compatible set of tools. From the description:

  It contains complete SMTP, QMQP, QMTP, and POP3 front-ends as well as
  an authentication module for IMAP.  The mail delivery front-ends also
  contain internal address filtering features.

  Two SMTP back-ends are provided.  One delivers mail to qmail-queue,
  mimicking most of the behavior of qmail-smtpd, with the addition of
  support for SMTP AUTH.

This is most likely your best path forward.

-dsr-