Re: Identity Theft

On 2021-12-23, harryweaver@tutanota.com <harryweaver@tutanota.com> wrote:

>> Tracking of a cell phone by a mobile FBI van (Wireless Intercept and Tracking
>>  Team) which seeks to locate a cell phone lacking GPS tracking by scanning for
>>  its emissions. This first became known for its use in tracking hacker Kevin
>>  Mitnick.[1]
>>
>>  Intercepting a cell phone call by a man in the middle attack ...
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triggerfish_(surveillance)
>>
>> Other than the FBI stalking a criminal element in an unmarked van parked
>> across the street stuffed with sophisticated electronic equipment, I don't
>> believe this theoretical possibility translates to a worrisome probability of
>> malicious behavior for the R.H. Kramers of the world.
>>

> And I don't think the rhetorical `unmarked van parked across the
> street stuffed with sophisticated electronic equipment' accurately
> represents the reality. Some of this equipment will happily reside in
> a backpack.

It wasn't really that "rhetorical" a van because it was precisely the
very concrete "mobile FBI van" described on the Wikipedia page the OP
referenced.

As for the accurate representation of reality, I'm afraid we can only
hope, however vainly, that people are capable of determining for
themselves who might or might not be an expert in the field.