Re: Identity Theft

24 Dec 2021, 00:07 by curty@free.fr:

> On 2021-12-23, rhkramer@gmail.com <rhkramer@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> I can find no example of this with a cell phone.
>>>

>> Somebody yesterday posted about Triggerfish -- I can't find that post
>> immediately.
>>
>> Wikipedia says (about Triggerfish):
>>
>> "Intercepting a cell phone call by a man in the middle attack, if the option
>> is enabled, and the user makes or receives a call."
>>

> Tracking of a cell phone by a mobile FBI van (Wireless Intercept and Tracking
>  Team) which seeks to locate a cell phone lacking GPS tracking by scanning for
>  its emissions. This first became known for its use in tracking hacker Kevin
>  Mitnick.[1]
>
>  Intercepting a cell phone call by a man in the middle attack ...
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triggerfish_(surveillance)
>
> Other than the FBI stalking a criminal element in an unmarked van parked
> across the street stuffed with sophisticated electronic equipment, I don't
> believe this theoretical possibility translates to a worrisome probability of
> malicious behavior for the R.H. Kramers of the world.

And I don't think the rhetorical `unmarked van parked across the street stuffed with sophisticated electronic equipment' accurately represents the reality. Some of this equipment will happily reside in a backpack.

https://theintercept.com/document/2015/12/17/government-cellphone-surveillance-catalogue/

Cheers!

Harry.