Re: Identity Theft

On Wed, Dec 22, 2021 at 1:45 PM <rhkramer@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wednesday, December 22, 2021 09:19:31 AM Curt wrote:
> On 2021-12-21, rhkramer@gmail.com <rhkramer@gmail.com> wrote:
> > That is a known thing (a telephone intercept of a cell phone call), I
> > have found nothing so far about such a thing happening with a VOIP phone
> > or land line.
>
> It's a known thing to dial one number and reach another?

On a cell phone yes, but I'd have to google again to find a link, I'll try to
do that between now and tomorrow.

> Can you provide
> a link?

See above.

> What do you mean by intercept?

Well it wasn't a word I originally used, but as I googled, I found reference
to that.  It seems it can mean (refer) to at least two (slightly) different
things;

   * the thing that law enforcement (and others) can do (legally or not), that
is put a wiretap on the "line" (virtual or real) and listen in / record the
conversation

   * the other implied / inferred meaning is that of what I described, that is
calling one number and having it be intercepted by another party who might
masquerade as the called party.  (Somebody on the list pointed out essentially
the same thing as a "man in the middle" attack.)

I did a little bit of googling ([telephone intercept cell phone]) before
sending this to see if I could find a link, but no luck.  (It's possible I
misunderstood something I saw, but I don't think so.)

I'd have to say the concept of "intercepting" a VoIP call for Google voice reaches beyond logic; not impossible but certainly not probable since Google voice uses TLS to my knowledge. For this to work, you're implying someone is between you and google and the google voice service doesn't know. Again, I'd say this is more likely to be a case of sim cloning/spoofing based on WFH in that the calls are forwarded to cell phones that have been compromised. This lines up well with the stated fact that the calls randomly get "intercepted" and others go to the legit company in question. To my knowledge, with sim cloning the phone rings simultaneously. So the first one to pick up gets the call.