Re: Identity Theft

On Wednesday, December 22, 2021 09:19:31 AM Curt wrote:
> On 2021-12-21, rhkramer@gmail.com <rhkramer@gmail.com> wrote:
> > That is a known thing (a telephone intercept of a cell phone call), I
> > have found nothing so far about such a thing happening with a VOIP phone
> > or land line.
>
> It's a known thing to dial one number and reach another?

On a cell phone yes, but I'd have to google again to find a link, I'll try to
do that between now and tomorrow.

> Can you provide
> a link?

See above.

> What do you mean by intercept?

Well it wasn't a word I originally used, but as I googled, I found reference
to that.  It seems it can mean (refer) to at least two (slightly) different
things;

   * the thing that law enforcement (and others) can do (legally or not), that
is put a wiretap on the "line" (virtual or real) and listen in / record the
conversation

   * the other implied / inferred meaning is that of what I described, that is
calling one number and having it be intercepted by another party who might
masquerade as the called party.  (Somebody on the list pointed out essentially
the same thing as a "man in the middle" attack.)

I did a little bit of googling ([telephone intercept cell phone]) before
sending this to see if I could find a link, but no luck.  (It's possible I
misunderstood something I saw, but I don't think so.)