Re: 8 -> 9 update changing things

Roy J. Tellason, Sr. wrote:

> > > In general, that message means that even if there is a copy of
> > > the pulseaudio daemon running, it is not running with the right
> > > userid and the X11 session you are running in doesn't know about
> > > it.
> > >
> > > Run "pulseaudio --start" and try again.
> >
> > That did get the volume control as invoked from the Xfce applications menu working,  all right.  Looking in the process table that I see under KDE System Monitor (what I usually use to keep track of system loading) I now see pulseaudio in there twice.  One shows the command you mention here,  and the other one doesn't,  and says "daemonize=no".  I'm guessing that's the problem,  where to fix it is another question.  Mousing over it I also see "parent=systemd" for both of them...
> >
> > Looking at "man systemd",  nothing jumps out at me with regard to where I want to go from here.
>
> With this having been done,  after restarting the virtualbox instance,  sound is now working there also.  What I might need to fiddle with in terms of systemd is not at all clear to me,  though.  I don't know why this would have changed with the upgrade.
>
> Any further thoughts on this?

Since it just happened... I'll say that pulseaudio is easily on
the same level of reliability as Windows 95. I decided to test
out the advertised capability of a music player as a USB DAC. As
soon as I got things plugged in, the pulseaudio daemon crashed.
After I restarted it, the pulseeffects equalizer service froze.
After I restarted that, pulseeffects decided that it would be a
good idea to use the USB microphone as both default input and
output...

It's currently working. But I'd so much rather have systems that
didn't think that they should switch configurations
automatically, since PA is so terrible at reading my mind.

Anyway, upgrade to bullseye.

-dsr-