Re: Identity Theft

On 2021-12-21, rhkramer@gmail.com <rhkramer@gmail.com> wrote:

> I used my eyes to read the number off the screen and then dial my separate
> phone (not attached to a computer (well, other than the ObiHai VOIP device).

I called a major international financial institution the other day with
a telephone number memorized by my cell phone that I've used conceivably
a hundred times previously over the years (I telephone monthly). I call
a specific department in offices located on the East Coast of the United
States. When the other end picked up, I heard a recorded message that
gave me the impression that the Bristol Furniture Company might have
moved in (a female voice spoke in a distinctly English accent about
something unrelated to anything). I was so surprised I forgot exactly
what she said. At any rate, it was neither my financial institutional
nor the phone company.  I found an 877 number on the WWW and finally
reached my party (internal transfers still worked to this specific
line). I asked the employee over the phone what was up; he told me they
were aware of the issue and having "trouble with their phones."