keyboard setup

Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
Kernel: Linux 5.10.0-10-amd64
Architecture: x86-64

I'm still having trouble with random lines from elsewhere in the file I'm editing getting plonked a hundred or so lines away.
Which is a pain as it can take a while to locate them.
Want to use the console Ctrl+Alt+Fx for a bit and see if it's something to do with X Trouble is I can't get the console keyboard keys to do the same thing as in Xfce. I read that the keyboard map is supposed to be shared between console and X but not here.
I try various things.
"dpkg-reconfigure console-setup"
"dpkg-reconfigure console-data"
"dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-setup"
"service keyboard-setup restart"
reboot the PC
nothing seems to work.
this particular keyboard is small generic USB thing which works with Microsoft Office keyboard layout. but in console some keys are not what is on the key. eg "#" is UK Pound sign.
"dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-setup" does have that layout as a selection.
Is there something I need to do after selecting to get it to work ?

mick
--
Key ID    4BFEBB31