Re:[solved] Broken libc6 running Sid (multiarch sytem)

On 12/19/21 18:12, Mark Allums wrote:
On 12/19/2021 2:30 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Du, 19 dec 21, 07:24:56, Tim Woodall wrote:
On Sat, 18 Dec 2021, Mark Allums wrote:

Preparing to unpack .../libc6_2.33-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libc6:amd64 (2.33-1) over (2.34-0experimental1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive
/var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.33-1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite shared '/usr/share/doc/libc6/NEWS.gz', which is
different from other instances of package libc6:amd64

I'd delete that file and try again. (move it to the side if it's
something you might want to consult)

According to my understanding of the manpage it should work with an
added '--force-overwrite'.
Kind regards,
Andrei
Thanks.  I'll try that soonest.  I'll let everybody know.

Mark Allums

It worked, with lots of warnings. I did overlook the option --force-overwrite in the man page. Once I got the main libc6 squared away, I ran the interactive Aptitude and let the solver correct the other libc6-related packages, and also removed lintian, as I am not a package maintainer. Everything is now cleared up.

I am running Bookworm, with some Sid packages (or Sid with some Bookworm packages, if you prefer.) I do occasionally install a new NVIDIA driver or kernel from experimental, and I currently have installed gcc-12 for the heck of it. If I depended on this machine for a main system (aka production), I of course wouldn't do this. I installed the new libc6 as a lark, but since it is an essential package and since I am not a maintainer, I should not have done so.

Thanks Andrei, for your perusal of the man page on my behalf.

Mark Allums