dvorak keymap misconfigured in bullseye

I installed release 11.2 for amd64.  In the installer, I asked for the
Dvorak keymap and XFCE desktop.  After a successful install, I used
Applications Menu > Settings > Keyboard and then > Variants to select
the "Classic" Dvorak keymap.

The change was not effective, even after rebooting; the default Dvorak
keymap is still in effect.  I attempted to switch to English (US),
but that too was ineffective.  And now the Variant tab brings
up the
ADD menu.
--
How should one chase a thousand, and two put ten thousand to flight,
except their Rock had sold them, and the Lord had shut them up?