Re: 8 -> 9 update changing things

On Sunday 19 December 2021 03:18:46 am Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Sb, 18 dec 21, 11:24:34, Roy J. Tellason, Sr. wrote:
> >
> > There remains the sound issue in the virtualbox.  Could it be that
> > Debian isn't running PulseAudio but something else?  That would
> > account for the guest OS not being able to talk to it...
>
> As far as I'm aware there is no default sound server in Debian, it's
> whatever the corresponding Desktop Environment depends on. Usually this
> is PulseAudio, but it seems PipeWire is becoming more popular.

Well,  sound on the Debian side of things works,  as in playing youtube videos and such.  It doesn't work in the Slackware virtualbox,  which is apparently trying to connect to Pulseaudio.  Going through the Xfce application menus just now I see very little that would tell me what it is that's actually running here,  so I figure I probably need to typs something on the command line in a terminal,  but I don't know what.

One thing that shows up in the Xfce application menu under multimedia is "Pulseaudio Volume Control".  When I invoke this  a small window pops up,  with the text "Establishing connection to Pulseaudio.  Please wait" and then nothing happens,  even if I let it sit there for quite a while.

Suggestions as to where I might look for the problem?

-
M Dakin