Re: GRUB really slow to boot

Greg Wooledge composed on 2021-12-18 17:39 (UTC-0500):

> === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
> Model Family:     Toshiba 3.5" DT01ACA... Desktop HDD
> Device Model:     TOSHIBA DT01ACA100

I have the same model in a little used SFF Dell GX745 test box:
https://paste.debian.net/1224017/
Similarities and differences are interesting. SMART Attributes Data Structure for
yours is longer. Serial numbers suggest mine is newer, but firmware suggests yours
is newer. I checked https://www.toshiba-storage.com/ trying to find updated
firmware, but can't even locate the model number there. Mine's running on an old
ICH8 SATA 2.0 controller, so it feels sluggish running @3.0 Gb/s. Mine's hours are
nominal, so if you're interested in acquiring another, make an offer. :)

Oh, and boot speed has been totally normal, patience trying compared to my NVME PCs.

Maybe it's worth a read of my experience with Grub(1) sloth:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/grub-legacy-delay-of-more-than-2-minutes-loading-initrd-from-ext4-filesystem-4175599620/
It could be Grub2 is capable of similar delays from a poor BIOS INT13* implementation.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata