Re: 8 -> 9 update changing things

On Friday, December 17, 2021 11:53:20 AM David Wright wrote:
> On Thu 16 Dec 2021 at 16:56:22 (-0500), Roy J. Tellason, Sr. wrote:
> But I can't help thinking of someone laying a carpet before they've
> painted the ceiling, or vacuuming the floor before dusting the furniture.
> Better to create just one big mess and then clear it all up in one go?
>
> >      But upgrading involves me copying a whole pile of stuff over to my
> >      server,  including some really large files that are involved in
> >      Virtualbox and the one snapshot I have,  and then figuring out a
> >      whole mess of detailed stuff that I need to do to make the upgrade
> >      happen.
>
> Each time you upgrade?!
>
> > Last time it was something like 3 or 4 days before I was back to anything
> > remotely resembling normal,  and I'm not looking forward to the next
> > time (or two).

Chiming in from the peanut gallery:  My preference is to obtain a new (to me)
system, install the version of the OS I want on it, get it working, get
comfortable with it, then migrate my data to the new machine.

(I'm fairly good at scrounging new (to me hardware) considering the use of
sales, rebates, and finding used stuff, often one or a few pieces at a time.)

As an alternate, if the new to me hardware was a step down from my current
system I might (I've never done this) take an image of the existing system,
move it to the "step down" hardware, then install the new OS on my original
system.

I do use a KVM to switch between systems.

I have very little tolerance for not having a working system of some sort at
all times.