Re: 8 -> 9 update changing things

On Thu 16 Dec 2021 at 16:56:22 (-0500), Roy J. Tellason, Sr. wrote:
> On Thursday 16 December 2021 02:49:17 pm Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 02:35:43PM -0500, Roy J. Tellason, Sr. wrote:
> > > I'd posted about my update a while back,  and while some folks were
> > > encouraging me to go all the way to 11 since it's the current version,
> > > my thinking has been to see how things are working,  what's changed,
> > > what broke,  etc. and deal with all of that before I continue on in the
> > > update process.
> > >
> > > Some of the things I'm dealing with are:
> > >
> > > 1. An annoying blue dot showed up in my taskbar.
> > > Right-clicking on this gave me an option to "quit",  which I would do,
> > > and then within a few seconds it would come right back again!  I finally
> > > tracked this down to being "KDEaccessible",  which I've done nothing to
> > > invoke and don't know why the upgrade put that in there.  I solved the
> > > problem by using synaptic to uninstall the package,  since I have no use
> > > for it.
> > >

> > This one is solved for the moment, then.
>
> Yeah,  but why the heck did this get turned on in the first place?  Or even installed?

One might hypothesise that
. you run KDE, and KDE makes cvhanges that aren't always popular with
  every user.
. KDE recommends kdeaccessibility depends on kaccessible.
. KDE make changes to kaccessible for people who require and use it.
  Seems reasonable.

> > > 2. My virtual (older) Slackware virtualbox install is seeing a few issues.

> Under Slackware it's a very old version of KDE,  which I much prefer to the newer stuff.

Yes, that's what I meant above. I think there's a cohort who use TDE instead.

> It bugs me that things get changed,  for no apparent reason,  and that stuff gets added,  likewise.

The reasons are often made apparent in the packages' changelogs.

> > > There's probably more,  but I would like to get these things ironed out
> > > before I go chasing any more stuff,  and before I continue on the upgrade
> > >  path...

This list, from four years ago, might be a good place to look for
threads talking about these problems the first time around.

But I can't help thinking of someone laying a carpet before they've
painted the ceiling, or vacuuming the floor before dusting the furniture.
Better to create just one big mess and then clear it all up in one go?

>      But upgrading involves me copying a whole pile of stuff over to my server,  including some really large files that are involved in Virtualbox and the one snapshot I have,  and then figuring out a whole mess of detailed stuff that I need to do to make the upgrade happen.

Each time you upgrade?!

> Last time it was something like 3 or 4 days before I was back to anything remotely resembling normal,  and I'm not looking forward to the next time (or two).

Cheers,
David.