Re: 8 -> 9 update changing things

On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 02:35:43PM -0500, Roy J. Tellason, Sr. wrote:
> I'd posted about my update a while back,  and while some folks were
> encouraging me to go all the way to 11 since it's the current version,
> my thinking has been to see how things are working,  what's changed,
> what broke,  etc. and deal with all of that before I continue on in the
> update process.
>
> Some of the things I'm dealing with are:
>
> 1. An annoying blue dot showed up in my taskbar.
> Right-clicking on this gave me an option to "quit",  which I would do,
> and then within a few seconds it would come right back again!  I finally
> tracked this down to being "KDEaccessible",  which I've done nothing to
> invoke and don't know why the upgrade put that in there.  I solved the
> problem by using synaptic to uninstall the package,  since I have no use
> for it.

This one is solved for the moment, then.

> 2. My virtual (older) Slackware virtualbox install is seeing a few issues.
> One of them is that there is apparently a screensaver kicking in after
> some extended period of time.  I can't find any place where this is
> enabled,  to turn it off.  I wasn't using one before and don't want one
> now.  Suggestions?

XFCE desktop: if this is blanking the screen, try checking for power settings.
If it's an _actual_ screensaver with patterns - check to see what screen
saving/locking programs come by default.

> 3. Also under the Slackware virtualbox sound has quit working.
> When I boot it,  I get a message that says "Host audio backend (PulseAudio)
> initialization has failed. Selecting the NULL audio backend with the
> consequence that no sound is audible."  I'm not sure what changed here
> either.  On the host (Debian) side,  audio works fine for,  ferinstance,
> playing a youtube video.  But for some things I want to be able to play
> audio under Slackware as well.  I found an item in the Xfce applications
> menu under Multimedia that says "Pulseaudio Volume Control" and when I
> hit that I get a smallish popup window with no apparent content other
> than "Establishing connection to PulseAudio, please wait..." and then
> nothing happens for a good long while now.  Suggestions?

How old id the virtualbox version - is there an option for audio passthrough
or similar?

> 4. There is *something* kicking off around midnight local time that
> produces a whole lot of disk activity for a few minutes,  slowing down
> whatever else I might be doing at the time.  I've looked at various things
> like cron, at,  etc. to see if I can find something in there but no luck
>  so far.  Suggestions?

Run top / ps -elf | less to see what processes are running and check
what seems to be eating memory or disk?

> There's probably more,  but I would like to get these things ironed out
> before I go chasing any more stuff,  and before I continue on the upgrade
>  path...

Hi Roy,

I would seriously suggest upgrading from 9 to at least 10. You might sort
out some of the issues but, more importantly, will be moving up to a
better supported system

With every good wish, as ever,

Andy Cater