8 -> 9 update changing things

I'd posted about my update a while back,  and while some folks were encouraging me to go all the way to 11 since it's the current version,  my thinking has been to see how things are working,  what's changed,  what broke,  etc. and deal with all of that before I continue on in the update process.

Some of the things I'm dealing with are:

1. An annoying blue dot showed up in my taskbar.  Right-clicking on this gave me an option to "quit",  which I would do,  and then within a few seconds it would come right back again!  I finally tracked this down to being "KDEaccessible",  which I've done nothing to invoke and don't know why the upgrade put that in there.  I solved the problem by using synaptic to uninstall the package,  since I have no use for it.

2. My virtual (older) Slackware virtualbox install is seeing a few issues.  One of them is that there is apparently a screensaver kicking in after some extended period of time.  I can't find any place where this is enabled,  to turn it off.  I wasn't using one before and don't want one now.  Suggestions?

3. Also under the Slackware virtualbox sound has quit working.  When I boot it,  I get a message that says "Host audio backend (PulseAudio) initialization has failed. Selecting the NULL audio backend with the consequence that no sound is audible."  I'm not sure what changed here either.  On the host (Debian) side,  audio works fine for,  ferinstance,  playing a youtube video.  But for some things I want to be able to play audio under Slackware as well.  I found an item in the Xfce applications menu under Multimedia that says "Pulseaudio Volume Control" and when I hit that I get a smallish popup window with no apparent content other than "Establishing connection to PulseAudio, please wait..." and then nothing happens for a good long while now.  Suggestions?

4. There is *something* kicking off around midnight local time that produces a whole lot of disk activity for a few minutes,  slowing down whatever else I might be doing at the time.  I've looked at various things like cron, at,  etc. to see if I can find something in there but no luck so far.  Suggestions?

There's probably more,  but I would like to get these things ironed out before I go chasing any more stuff,  and before I continue on the upgrade path...

-
M Dakin