Re: all of a sudden I have no sound

On Thu 16 Dec 2021 at 09:13:11 (-0500), Dan Ritter wrote:
> Jude DaShiell wrote:
> > it would be nice if pulseaudio say in pavucontrol would get a find my
> > speakers button which would try what it thinks is a speaker andput a
> > message on the screen asking if the user heard some music.  If the answer
> > is no, move onto the next speaker.
>
> It would be nice if, for example, it remembered the way that you
> wanted a system to be rather than recalculating it every time a
> device changes state. If I turn off the home theater receiver
> connected to my media server via HDMI, PulseAudio decides that
> it can't be used, so it helpfully switches over to another audio
> output device. When I turn the receiver back on, PulseAudio does
> not switch back to it automatically.
>
> The present case is probably similar: PA decided something was
> unplugged, switched to a different sink, and did not bring it
> back when it was "replugged".

It's not just nice to have these features, but essential, and
that's one reason why I don't install pulseaudio. Using amixer
in ALSA, I can type one line and have the audio set how I want
it, with the correct levels set and unmuted, just as aumix did
under OSS for many years.

And, of course, it's not that /I/ have to type that line. If
I now type in:
$ touch .cron/2021-12-19-05-55-rk-250
then the system will automatically record the Sunday morning
programme from the radio, using appropriate recording levels
set by the script in bin/rk.sh.

I could never get beyond having to poke around in pulseaudio
every time I used it. What I wanted was something that would
enable me to power up the PC at bedtime Saturday, and have it
just work without the necessity of logging in etc.

Cheers,
David.