Re: Update Debian 9 to 10

On Ma, 14 dec 21, 14:59:56, Thanos Katsiolis wrote:
> Kent thank you for your response.
>

> I also had to install the GNOME, although using dpkg I saw related
> packages, so I thought that it was installed.
> Is there a way to verify that something like DM (gdm) or GNOMe is
> installed, in order to know what to do?

For GDM it's easy:

    dpkg -l gdm3

(it should have 'ii' in the first column)

On the other hand the GNOME Desktop Environment consists of many
packages[1]. If I were to guess the package gnome-shell could provide a
reasonable yes / no answer.

For installing from scratch I would pick one of task-gnome-desktop,
gnome or gnome-core.

[1] on a pretty bare bullseye `apt install gnome` would install 746
additional packages

Kind regards,
Andrei