Re: Ensuring network connectivity no Ethernet [WAS Re: Drivers to Debian installer]

On Mon 13 Dec 2021 at 22:39:24 -0600, David Wright wrote:

> On Sun 21 Nov 2021 at 17:53:57 (+0000), Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 05:46:13PM +0000, Brian wrote:
> > > On Sun 21 Nov 2021 at 16:30:06 +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
>
> [ … ]

> > > I agee with that.

> > > Normally I would agree with this too, but the lack of ethernet is likely
> > > to lead to an issue with connectivity after first boot. See
> > >
> > >   https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=694068
>
> Quoting this:
>
>  "If this bug is going to be kept ANOTHER Debian release,
>   can you at least warn people about it in the buster Installation Guide?"
>
> I don't see anything about it in the bullseye one.
>
> > No Ethernet means additional complications :)
> >
> > WiFi firmware - the nonfree firmware-iwlwifi probably - will be installed
> > as part of the initial install - so you should have network connectivity
> > for that at least.
>
> … during the installation phase only, in case that's not clear.
>
> > I'd install Network Manager and nmtui to set up a minimal wireless interface
> > thereafter. You can do that either by dropping to a shell in the initial
> > install or by using the rescue mode of the installer to chroot to the installed
> >  system and go from there.
>
> I think it's far simpler than that, and I've added a comment to BTS
> #694068 that might avoid its needing a trixie tag in the future.

A preseed directive may be used to avoid having only a lo interface in
/e/n/i:

  d-i netcfg/target_network_config select ifupdown

>From the netcfg templates file:

 Template: netcfg/target_network_config
 Type: select
 Choices-C: nm_config, ifupdown, loopback
 Choices: Network Manager, ifupdown (/etc/network/interfaces), No network configuration
 Specifies what kind of network connection management tool should be
 configured post-installation if multiple are available. Automatic
 selection is used in this order when not specified: network-manager if
 available (on Linux only), ethernet configuration through ifupdown on wired
 installation and loopback configuration through ifupdown on wireless
 installations.