Re: cups problems in bullseye

On Mon, 13 Dec, 2021 at 9:35 AM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
On Sun 12 Dec 2021 at 11:14:37 -0800, Gene Heskett wrote:

> I have reconfigured one of the 3 copies cups discovered for ipp-Everywhere
> getting this in the printer menu:

> Connection:ipp://Brother%20MFC-J6920DW._ipp._tcp.local/ Defaults:job-sheets=none, none
> media=na_letter_8.5x11in
> sides=two-sided-long-edge
>
> but when I goto the maintenance tab an try to print a test page, cups
> does not accept me as user and my passwd that works for logins and
> sudo on a rootless system. All I can do is cancel. This is a VERY OLD
> problem I've been saddled with since at least wheezy. I assume from
> the tcp.local above its trying to use the printers net address, not its
> usb. Both are connected but the net connection is slower than the usb.
> Or I should say that was on stretch. This is bullseye now.
>
> The brother drivers, updated for bullseye are installed but don't work
> at all well. no duplex and about 15x slower than stretches install.

Let's try a driverless network solution. OK with you? Please give the
output of 'driverleess'.

ipp://Brother%20MFC-J6920DW._ipp._tcp.local/

That's the crippled, incomplete, extremely slow version, USB-2 is many times faster.

I finally got two versions of it's profile running yesterday by re running the
installer from brother, which downloaded and installed 2 of the 6 files, new
and improved, as of Dec 6th, and except for the speed, a bit slower than the
stretch versions but tolerable. So duplex now works as does paper tray selection.

Contrary to your opinion, brother does support their products on linux. All it
takes is a decently descriptive message to support.

--
Brian.

.