Re: Mate desktop environment: anything akin to update-notifier

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 10:22:27AM +0100, didier gaumet wrote:

[...]

> Hello Tomas,

Hello, Didier

>  Both Peter & Lee have suggested more pertinent (GUI) options for an
> ordinary user but for the record, either unattended-upgrades and cron-
> apt can be configured to automatically update but let the user/admin
> manually upgrade if she/he whishes so (it's not the default nowadays in
> Debian with unattended-upgrades but I think this is still the default
> with cron-apt).
>  Installing apt-listchanges and apt-listbugs can help prevent problems
> with automatic upgrades: the former warns by e-mail of configuration or
> usage changes in a package, the latter can block a bugged upgrade until
> the bug is fixed or the user/admin decides on upgrading because a
> particular bug does not bother her/him.

Warm thanks -- this is for a decidedly GUI person. I've tried to seduce
her to console and a bit of shell, alas, without success.

Best for her seems to be a notification with a button where she can say
"do now!" and another for "later" or something similar.

Package-update-indicator sounds like right, I'll try that.

Cheers, salut
--
tomás