Gnome default application reset after apt-get upgrade

Greetings,

This has been an annoyance/issue for a while - at least for me - and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this?

The problem:  after an apt-get update/upgrade, the Default Applications for "Web" in Gnome will somehow switch to Thunderbird from Firefox through no direct action by me, while before it was set to Firefox.  I can go in and switch it back, but I'm curious if anyone else has seen this and - if so - what the root cause is?

Thanks,
Will