Re: Update Debian 9 to 10

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 12:04:32PM +0200, Thanos Katsiolis wrote:
> Thank you Piotr for your response.
>
> As I responded to Andrei lower in the thread, neither DM nor DE must have
> been installed.
>
> I would like to get GNOME, so I will try to install it. Does this affect
> the DM somehow?

If you install GNOME in any of the "standard" ways (e.g. tasksel), it
will install gdm3 as the Display Manager.

You might wish to double-check that you have the necessary firmware
and/or drivers for your display before installing GNOME.  In some cases,
you can get a "black screen" when the necessary firmware/drivers are
not present, either during login (gdm3), or after login (GNOME).

(When that happens, the workaround is to get to the state you're
*currently* in [console text login], and install firmware from there.
So, you're kind of ahead of the game here.)