Re: Update Debian 9 to 10

Andrei sorry for my late response,

More precisely, no Display Manager (DM). Even if you do have a Desktop
Environment installed, the DM is responsible for automatically starting
it.

Please try to log in on the console and run:

    startx

startx ha the output:

/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc: 3: exec: /usr/bin/X: not found
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
xinit: server error

If you do get a Desktop Environment (which one?) most likely all you
need is to install a DM. For Gnome you probably want GDM (package
'gdm').

Apologies, that should have been clearer, I meant: please post the
output of:

    journalctl -ab

(requires root or sudo to get useful output)

The output is quite large. Which are the interesting entries to post?

as well as the *contents* of /var/log/Xorg.0.log or
~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log (whichever exists).

Both files do not exist.

Since you don't have a DM installed these are only useful if the Desktop
Environment fails to start.

Kind regards,
Andrei

It appears that neither DM nor DE are installed. Should I start with a DM?