Re: bullseye fusses

On Sun, 12 Dec, 2021 at 10:48 PM, peter@easthope.ca <peter@easthope.ca> wrote:

To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Cc: peter@easthope.ca
   From: Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net>
   Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 14:57:27 -0800
> But doesn't have Imap sending support, ...

IMAP is available in the MUA in A2.  Menu > Apps > MailClient .
I wasn't aware that IMAP can send.

> ... imap is the only protocol that allows the receiving client to
>  delete fetched mail.

Mail in the Oberon subsystem of A2 allows receipt by POP3 and
deletion after receipt.  These settings in Oberon.Text.

But, since pop3 and imap in my isp's mail server, dovecot, are the same
database content,  they do not allow a "pop3" client to delete a fetched msg.
Fetchmail, running in imap mode IS allowed to delete once fetched. So my mail
on their server has a 2 minute lifetime since fetchmail scans it every 2 minutes.
Very little to sell the spammers/scammers that way.

I just sent my first successful msg using kmail, I asked the kmail smtp agent
to query again and it changed the encodeing to STARTTLS, and it worked,
So I assume <-(there's that word again), that it can now send.

I can understand their reasoning so I've not argued with them.

But no one has said, when I asked, if this new kmail5 honors or ignores
the "been read" marker of a fetchmail pulled msg that HAS been read by
firefox. And I've not found a place in the config menu to countermand
that if that is the case, I'd have to put a 'Mark as unread' command in each
of about 45 sort filters I have yet to compose.   I pull the read ones too, and
the totals go up, but none of the new pulls are new/unread when kmail sees them.

I think I have the printer working albeit at a very lethargic snails pace so I
need to print the old kmailrc so I can reinvent a new one. The old version was
kmail 1.9 from TDE, so I haven't placed it in service.

POPMode = "POP3" {* POP3 or APOP *}
LeaveOnServer = No

My MO: retrieve all messages less than 2 MB into the mbox file on a
local SD card.  When I move to another machine, the SD goes along.
Messages >= 2 MB are accessed by the Web.  =8~|

I'm not that portable at my 87 years. My truck gets poor mileage, and I'm
alone now, my wife is in a nice vase on her piano for the last year (COPD),
so runs for eats and scripts is about it, once a week maybe.

> Love to, phone number please?

Hmm.  Aim to deal locally where customer service exists.

Customer service?  Whuzzat?