Re: CUPS mailing list (was: Re: bullseye fusses)

On Sun, 12 Dec, 2021 at 12:33 PM, Andrew M.A. Cater <amacater@einval.com> wrote:

To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
On Sat, Dec 11, 2021 at 09:12:49PM -0800, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Dec, 2021 at 10:32 PM, Andy Smith <andy@strugglers.net> wrote:
>

> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> On Sun, Dec 12, 2021 at 02:56:12AM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> > Is that the list that you are talking about?
>
> For those playing along at home, Gene directly sent me a rambling
> HTML reply which did confirm that cups@cups.org<mailto:cups@cups.org> is the list he is
> talking about, but only went on to say that he has attempted to
> subscribe to it again and has not yet received an error.
>
> So it seems most likely that this is user error as opposed to the
> evil machinations of Apple corp, but we will probably never know
> because as usual Gene does not provide any details as to what errors
> he has seen up until now.
>
> > I think you will do better if you did the usual thing of
> > explaining:
> >
> > - exactly what you did
> > - what exactly happened including exact output of any error message
> >   given (not your recollection of what may have happened)
> > - what exactly you expected to happen instead

[Bunch of mail configuration stuff snipped - as for printing]

Gene,

Is this Debian 10 or Debian 11?
11, netinstall.

In another thread, I cut and pasted this from the Debian 11 release notes
ref CUPS

I did not get a chance to pre-read any of that, one of seacrates not so
illustrious and only a few months old shingled 2T drives drowned in its
own puke in the night 10 days ago and its taken 7 installs to get as far
as I have so far. This time of 5 SSD's, 4 of them making a 2T raid10 for
/home.

2.2.2. Driverless scanning and printing

Both printing with CUPS and scanning with SANE are increasingly likely to be
possible without the need for any driver (often non-free) specific to the
model of the hardware, especially in the case of devices marketed in the past
five years or so.

The printer in question is about that old, its a Brother MFC-J6920DW. Big, it
can do tabloid including the scanner but feeding it is a PITA..

2.2.2.1. CUPS and driverless printing

Modern printers connected by ethernet or wireless can already use driverless
printing, implemented via CUPS and cups-filters, as was described in the
Release Notes for buster. Debian 11 “bullseye” brings the new package
ipp-usb, which is recommended by cups-daemon and uses the vendor-neutral
IPP-over-USB protocol supported by many modern printers. This allows a USB
device to be treated as a network device, extending driverless printing to
include USB-connected printers. The specifics are outlined on the wiki.

The systemd service file included in the ipp-usb package starts the ipp-usb
daemon when a USB-connected printer is plugged in, thus making it available
to print to. By default cups-browsed should configure it automatically, or
it can be manually set up with a local driverless print queue.

I cannot see any such ipp-usb file running in a root htop session.

2.2.2.2. SANE and driverless scanning

The official SANE driverless backend is provided by sane-escl in libsane1. An
independently developed driverless backend is sane-airscan. Both backends
understand the eSCL protocol but sane-airscan can also use the WSD protocol.
Users should consider having both backends on their systems.

eSCL and WSD are network protocols. Consequently they will operate over a USB
connection if the device is an IPP-over-USB device (see above). Note that
libsane1 has ipp-usb as a recommended package. This leads to a suitable
device being automatically set up to use a driverless backend driver when
it is connected to a USB port.

The above is all new info to me, but the default driverless install is a 7 letter
disaster. synaptic says its (ipp-usb) installed, but its not running. And the
printer is plugged into both usb3 AND cat5. And was for all 7 installs.

Can we sort one problem at a time?

I'd feel blessed if I only had 1 problem, but bullseye has so many I've no
clue where to start.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater
Thanks Andy.