Re: changed file while editing

On Sb, 11 dec 21, 23:17:43, mick crane wrote:

> > > No comment on that, as I don't use a DE.
> Window manager, desktop environment,X I get confused about those.
> You don't have any of the desktop stuff but still can run a browser and that
> ?
> I think I'd like that better.
> Is there stuff you can delete to get that sort of function or need make a
> new installation?

Think of X as the graphical infrastructure required to run any sort of
GUI program[1].

It is possible to start X and a GUI program directly from the linux text
console. When you close the program X will shut down as well. If that
program is something like a terminal emulator you could start more
programs from within it, but you will have only very limited means to
switch between or move and resize the windows of various applications.

A window manager is the program responsible for actually managing your
windows (placement, size, etc.). Using X without one makes sense only in
special situations, e.g. you only need to start one single application,
typically in full screen, and do the rest only from within that
application (Kodi is a good example for this).

Most window managers are pretty bare (the 'do one thing and do it well'
philosophy), so additional programs will be required for various panels,
clocks, menus, etc. Starting all of these (in the right order) is what
is typically referred to as an 'X session'.

A desktop environment is basically just a (more or less) integrated
collection of all these tools + file manager, terminal emulator, etc.
Some also add complex background services to e.g. index all your
pictures.

[1] let's forget about Wayland for the moment.

Hope this explains,
Andrei