Re: strange problem with usb wifi adapter

On Sat 11 Dec 2021 at 12:13:23 (+0000), Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 11, 2021 at 05:33:05AM +0000, Long Wind wrote:
> > buster installer can configure my usb wifi adapter without non-freeware
> > it works well after installation, i install many packages by wifi
> > i shutdown and power disconnect from pc
> > then power return and i boot buster,
> > buster can't recognize wifi adapter, though i try many usb ports
> > i install  firmware-misc-nonfree, wifi adapter works now
> >
> > i bet bullseye has same problem
>
> 1. Which Wifi adapter? - lusb may tell you. This is important: because
> one works without firmware, it doesn't mean they all will. Firmware is
> specific to chipset from the manufacturer.

Ralink MT7601U Wireless Adapter type: USB driver: mt7601u according to:

> 2. How are you bringing up the interface for the Wifi adapter to connect?
>
> 3. Is the Wifi adapter permanently plugged in or are you removing it and
> replugging it.
>
> If you can give clear answers - it is especially helpful if you can
> show approaches you have tried / commands you have run / logs - we
> can help you better.

I don't know whether the problem is firmware, or a regression in the
kernel, or what. Googling led to:

https://github.com/kuba-moo/mt7601u/issues/64#issuecomment-352250127

but I could probably only make sense of this page if I were
in posession of the item.

Cheers,
David.