USB root disk doesn't "survive" closing of laptop

I'm booting my Windows-only work laptop into Debian from a portable USB3
disk for private use. This has been working fine for several years and
Debian releases. Also I could just shut the lid and when I opened it
again everything worked as before.

Recently I noticed that after re-opening the lid, open applications
immediately crashed when accessing the disk. The root console shows
lots of I/O errors. The only way to get the system up is to press the
power button until the light goes out and then switching it on again.

I believe the issue didn't start with the latest bullseye update but
later. I'm not sure though.

Any thoughts where to look? The root disk is an encrypted LUKS drive.
Could it be that the computer forgets the encryption key when closing
the lid?