Re: strange problem with usb wifi adapter

On Sat, 11 Dec 2021 05:33:05 +0000 (UTC)
Long Wind <longwind2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> buster installer can configure my usb wifi adapter without
> non-freeware it works well after installation, i install many
> packages by wifi i shutdown and power disconnect from pc
> then power return and i boot buster,
> buster can't recognize wifi adapter, though i try many usb ports
> i install  firmware-misc-nonfree, wifi adapter works now
>
> i bet bullseye has same problem

This kind of problem is fairly normal with installers: they often use
features within their own code which they do not necessarily install in
the target system. The installer will have loaded the necessary firmware
for its own use, but will not assume that the installed system also
needs it, especially if you don't ask for non-free software.

I did my first netinstall without asking for expert mode (I assumed it
would do a decent job by itself, and I did not consider myself an
expert) and this was when I had only a couple of computers and used
hosts files and static addressing. Under those conditions, the
installer did not install Ethernet networking in the installed system,
despite having used it itself in order to make the installation.

I reported this behaviour as a bug and was rather tersely told that it
was a feature. No expert + no DHCP = no Ethernet. OK, I could have been
building an isolated certificate authority machine, but surely then I'd
have used expert mode...

I don't know if installers still do that, it's many years since I ran a
network without DHCP, and I *always* use expert mode, even for routine
throwaway installations.

--
Joe