Re: Then it happened to me...

piorunz <piorunz@gmx.com> wrote on 10/10/2021 at 19:45:12+0200:

> On 10/10/2021 17:13, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
>
>> Hi Piotr,
>>
>> No - it's a nuisance. In this instance, it's an isolated nuisance - one VPS host in OVH.net which may be misconfigured, accidentally
>> or purposefully. Listmasters are aware - several of us have contacted them. It's an annoyance (much as when old-style spammers used
>> to harvest email addresses to apparently send spam from): it will go away again.
>>
>> Forums work for some people, they don't for others - people have very different styles. Email is fairly readily mirrored, very searchable,
>> compresses well and the mailing lists are threaded. I can find mailing list postings from 23 years ago fairly readily - I can't find
>> posts on some forums from three months ago. As ever: Your ideal solution may be  somebody else's hell (and vice versa) and people can argue
>> merits either way until they're blue in the face with no absolute conclusion.
>
> Thanks for your input. Your post has merit. I agree with most of what
> you said.
>
> I just wish Debian maintains online forums so people have a choice?
> AFAIK https://forums.debian.net/ is not official, not long time ago they
> didn't even had https. Now they do, but their main page debian.net still
> incorrectly redirects to debian.org via http, not https. IDK who is the
> operator but doesn't sound professional.

Apart from needing people to maintain the service (and a dynamic website
requires someone, otherwise good luck to pass DSA's stamp), it would
probably split our community onto multiple media and make them probably
unable to talk in the long term.

I'm not sure it's a path we want to walk on.

Cheers,

--
PEB