Re: Still on stretch, getting ready for bullseye

On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 11:05:44PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Tue 17 Aug 2021 at 16:54:54 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> > Where do I find the recipe to update stretch to buster?
>
> What, in this helpful thread, do you find difficult to understand?
>
> You have a collection of important machines in your charge. The
> complexity of managing them does not appear to be your forte. Eptness
> appears to have deserted you.
>
> Stick wuth what you have. It is less strain on you and on us. :)
>
> --
> Brian.

Brian - maybe a bit more consideration? Any of us can be exasperating but
it's worth spending some time with Gene to get it right.

Gene,

You have two upgrades to do.

One from stretch -> buster. 9-10 That takes you from 2017 -> 2019.

If you can reduce your /etc/apt/sources.list by commenting out third party
repositories like Trinity, that will help.

[Taken from https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Using]

The Stretch /etc/apt/sources.list should look like this:

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free

Bring Stretch up to date finally: apt update ; apt full-upgrade

Go find the release notes for Buster:

https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/amd64/release-notes/index.en.html -
especially Section 4 and 5

Buster sources.list - Buster was the first list to use deb.debian.org
extensively

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster main contrib non-free
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main contrib non-free

[Taken from https://wiki.debian.org/DebianUpgrade]

Use apt update ; apt upgrade ; apt full-upgrade (optionally apt autoremove)

Buster to Bullseye - 10-11 - 2019-2021

Follow the same process again, essentially

Bullseye sources.list

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main contrib non-free
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main contrib non-free

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian-security/ bullseye-security main contrib non-free
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian-security/ bullseye-security main contrib non-free

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-updates main contrib non-free

Uncomment third party repositories - change appropriately, then apt update ; apt upgrade ; apt full-upgrade

It's worth taking time to do this and writing down what step you've taken
(or just print off the appropriate pages and use them as a tick list) There's a lot to do and it's _easy_ to mess up.

Take care - all best, as always,

Andy Cater