Re: debian-user list info and guidelines (FAQ) - posted monthly

On Wed, Aug 04, 2021 at 09:21:11PM -0400, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
I don't see how it would be possible to ban a user on a open mailing
list that anyone can write to (without being registered).

It is possible, although pretty rare. One person who was banned from
this list a long time ago remains banned today, but I've seen that they
sometimes reply privately to people's posts on the list. In fact, this
person did so, to *you*, and I only found out about it because you
accidentally replied to their mail, back to the list.

So, as a general warning for list subscribers: if you get private,
off-list mail replies to list messages from people, one reason might be
because they are banned from posting to the list directly. In either
case, don't quote their mail back onto the list.

--
Please do not CC me for listmail.

👱🏻	Jonathan Dowland
✎	 jmtd@debian.org