Re: OFFLIST: Gnome desktop removal messed up machine

Hi,

On 2021-08-05 4:06 a.m., Gunnar Gervin wrote:
> Steve.
> At least Debian works better in this old Mac best of all else I've
> tried. Debian is very instructive, which in itself is an argument to use
> it for a newbie in IT & Linux.
> BR,
> Gunnar.
> PS.
> And level of patience, respect & even humility is a bit higher here than
> the smaller, also quick response, helpsite I used in another Linux
> distro. That bit is necessary for me to keep focus.
> DS.
>
> On Wed, 4 Aug 2021, 22:03 Steve Litt, <slitt@troubleshooters.com
> <mailto:slitt@troubleshooters.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Gunnar,
>
>     Gnome depends very much on systemd, and probably vice versa. It doesn't
>     surprise me at all that Debian doesn't work without Gnome, or at least
>     without a lot of hoop-jumping.

Total false statement and non-sense.

There's many and many more Debian server running without Gnome. Some of
them don't even have a video card connected to a monitor.

You can choose during installation of Debian to use XFCE as desktop
manager without installing Gnome.

There's even a Debian live disk (DVD/USB stick) that runs XFCE, you can
use this one to try out and install from it after.

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/debian-live-10.10.0-amd64-xfce.iso

And even better

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/debian-live-10.10.0-amd64-standard.iso

The last one is without any type of desktop manager at all.

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside