Re: Persistent names for audio devices.

    From: Reco <recoverym4n@enotuniq.net>
    Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 08:56:04 +0300
> You could've started a new thread as well.

For sure at least one reader would think "#$%&*, there he goes; another thread broken!"

> aplay -L
> arecord -L

peter@joule:/home/peter$ aplay -L
null
jack
    JACK Audio Connection Kit
pulse
    PulseAudio Sound Server
default:CARD=Live
    Dell Sound Blaster Live!, EMU10K1X Front
    Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=Live
    Dell Sound Blaster Live!, EMU10K1X Front
front:CARD=Live,DEV=0
    Dell Sound Blaster Live!, EMU10K1X Front
    Front speakers
rear:CARD=Live,DEV=0
    Dell Sound Blaster Live!, EMU10K1X Rear
    Rear speakers
center_lfe:CARD=Live,DEV=0
    Dell Sound Blaster Live!, EMU10K1X Center/LFE
    Center and Subwoofer speakers
surround21:CARD=Live,DEV=0
    Dell Sound Blaster Live!, EMU10K1X Front
    2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
surround40:CARD=Live,DEV=0
    Dell Sound Blaster Live!, EMU10K1X Front
surround41:CARD=Live,DEV=0
    Dell Sound Blaster Live!, EMU10K1X Front
surround50:CARD=Live,DEV=0
    Dell Sound Blaster Live!, EMU10K1X Front
surround51:CARD=Live,DEV=0
    Dell Sound Blaster Live!, EMU10K1X Front
iec958:CARD=Live,DEV=0
    Dell Sound Blaster Live!, EMU10K1X Front
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
dmix:CARD=Live,DEV=0
    Dell Sound Blaster Live!, EMU10K1X Front
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=Live,DEV=1
    Dell Sound Blaster Live!, EMU10K1X Rear
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=Live,DEV=2
    Dell Sound Blaster Live!, EMU10K1X Center/LFE
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=Live,DEV=0
    Dell Sound Blaster Live!, EMU10K1X Front
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=Live,DEV=1
    Dell Sound Blaster Live!, EMU10K1X Rear
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=Live,DEV=2
    Dell Sound Blaster Live!, EMU10K1X Center/LFE
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=Live,DEV=0
    Dell Sound Blaster Live!, EMU10K1X Front
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=Live,DEV=1
    Dell Sound Blaster Live!, EMU10K1X Rear
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=Live,DEV=2
    Dell Sound Blaster Live!, EMU10K1X Center/LFE
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=Live,DEV=0
    Dell Sound Blaster Live!, EMU10K1X Front
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=Live,DEV=1
    Dell Sound Blaster Live!, EMU10K1X Rear
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=Live,DEV=2
    Dell Sound Blaster Live!, EMU10K1X Center/LFE
    Hardware device with all software conversions
usbstream:CARD=Live
    Dell Sound Blaster Live!
    USB Stream Output
default:CARD=ICH5
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5
sysdefault:CARD=ICH5
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5
front:CARD=ICH5,DEV=0
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5
    Front speakers
surround21:CARD=ICH5,DEV=0
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5
    2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
surround40:CARD=ICH5,DEV=0
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5
surround41:CARD=ICH5,DEV=0
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5
surround50:CARD=ICH5,DEV=0
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5
surround51:CARD=ICH5,DEV=0
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5
iec958:CARD=ICH5,DEV=0
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5 - IEC958
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
dmix:CARD=ICH5,DEV=0
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=ICH5,DEV=4
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5 - IEC958
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=ICH5,DEV=0
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=ICH5,DEV=4
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5 - IEC958
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=ICH5,DEV=0
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=ICH5,DEV=4
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5 - IEC958
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=ICH5,DEV=0
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=ICH5,DEV=4
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5 - IEC958
    Hardware device with all software conversions
usbstream:CARD=ICH5
    Intel ICH5
    USB Stream Output
default:CARD=Set
    C-Media USB Headphone Set, USB Audio
sysdefault:CARD=Set
    C-Media USB Headphone Set, USB Audio
front:CARD=Set,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Headphone Set, USB Audio
    Front speakers
surround21:CARD=Set,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Headphone Set, USB Audio
    2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
surround40:CARD=Set,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Headphone Set, USB Audio
surround41:CARD=Set,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Headphone Set, USB Audio
surround50:CARD=Set,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Headphone Set, USB Audio
surround51:CARD=Set,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Headphone Set, USB Audio
surround71:CARD=Set,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Headphone Set, USB Audio
iec958:CARD=Set,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Headphone Set, USB Audio
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
dmix:CARD=Set,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Headphone Set, USB Audio
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=Set,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Headphone Set, USB Audio
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=Set,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Headphone Set, USB Audio
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=Set,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Headphone Set, USB Audio
    Hardware device with all software conversions
usbstream:CARD=Set
    C-Media USB Headphone Set
    USB Stream Output
usbstream:CARD=U0x46d0x807
    USB Device 0x46d:0x807
    USB Stream Output

peter@joule:/home/peter$ arecord -L
[...]
dmix:CARD=ICH5,DEV=1
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5 - MIC ADC
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=ICH5,DEV=2
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5 - MIC2 ADC
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=ICH5,DEV=3
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5 - ADC2
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=ICH5,DEV=0
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=ICH5,DEV=1
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5 - MIC ADC
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=ICH5,DEV=2
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5 - MIC2 ADC
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=ICH5,DEV=3
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5 - ADC2
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=ICH5,DEV=0
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=ICH5,DEV=1
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5 - MIC ADC
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=ICH5,DEV=2
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5 - MIC2 ADC
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=ICH5,DEV=3
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5 - ADC2
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=ICH5,DEV=0
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=ICH5,DEV=1
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5 - MIC ADC
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=ICH5,DEV=2
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5 - MIC2 ADC
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=ICH5,DEV=3
    Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5 - ADC2
[...]
default:CARD=U0x46d0x807
    USB Device 0x46d:0x807, USB Audio
sysdefault:CARD=U0x46d0x807
    USB Device 0x46d:0x807, USB Audio
front:CARD=U0x46d0x807,DEV=0
    USB Device 0x46d:0x807, USB Audio
    Front speakers
surround21:CARD=U0x46d0x807,DEV=0
    USB Device 0x46d:0x807, USB Audio
    2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
surround40:CARD=U0x46d0x807,DEV=0
    USB Device 0x46d:0x807, USB Audio
surround41:CARD=U0x46d0x807,DEV=0
    USB Device 0x46d:0x807, USB Audio
surround50:CARD=U0x46d0x807,DEV=0
    USB Device 0x46d:0x807, USB Audio
surround51:CARD=U0x46d0x807,DEV=0
    USB Device 0x46d:0x807, USB Audio
surround71:CARD=U0x46d0x807,DEV=0
    USB Device 0x46d:0x807, USB Audio
iec958:CARD=U0x46d0x807,DEV=0
    USB Device 0x46d:0x807, USB Audio
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
dmix:CARD=U0x46d0x807,DEV=0
    USB Device 0x46d:0x807, USB Audio
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=U0x46d0x807,DEV=0
    USB Device 0x46d:0x807, USB Audio
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=U0x46d0x807,DEV=0
    USB Device 0x46d:0x807, USB Audio
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=U0x46d0x807,DEV=0
    USB Device 0x46d:0x807, USB Audio
    Hardware device with all software conversions
usbstream:CARD=U0x46d0x807
    USB Device 0x46d:0x807
    USB Stream Output
peter@joule:/home/peter$

> And, since I mentioned that then - installing pulseaudio could solve
> this problem too.

Since the earlier discussion, pulseaudio was here.  Another layer of
complexity without solving the identity problem, for me at least.

Yesterday I removed pulseaudio according to the principal: if no
special cases make sense, tackling the more complex problem is
premature.

Thanks,                              ... P.

--
48.7693 N 123.3053 W
tel: +1 604 670 0140