Re: Logitech C270 webcam

On Tue, 2021-07-27 at 11:44 -0400, Paul M. Foster wrote:
> Folks:
>
> I bought a Logitech C270 webcam, which is supposed to work in Linux.
> It
> does, EXCEPT the microphone isn't picking up sound. I've checked in
> alsamixer, and the microphone device can be selected. But under
> cheese
> or other software, it still does not capture. Yes, I've googled this,
> but it's Linux, so there are few answers and none of them work for
> me.
>
> Any help?
>
> Paul

Probably, as I still am having such a camera around somewhere. I
remember having used it and -vaguely- that I had problems to keep it
from registering as primary audio device. So there should be a way.
Some details would be nice to know:
-what does 'lsmod|grep audio' return
-what is the output of 'cat /proc/asound/cards'
-what does 'tail -f /var/log/syslog' say when you plug in the camera
(try hotplugging it while 'tail -f[...]' is running)
-is the camera connected to a USB-2 or a USB-3 port? I remember the
C270 causing trouble with some USB-3 ports.