Re: explanation of first column "v" is hiding

On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 07:22:49PM +0200, l0f4r0@tuta.io wrote:
> 26 juil. 2021, 19:01 de mrmazda@earthlink.net:
> > # man dpkg-query

> aptitude man page:
>
> "Each search result is listed on a separate line. The first character of each line indicates the current state of the package: the most common states are p, meaning that no trace of the package exists on the system, c, meaning that the package was deleted but its configuration files remain on the system, i, meaning that the package is installed, and v, meaning that the package is virtual."

Wait, wait, wait....

First, are you telling me that the documentation for dpkg-query's output
format is in aptitude's man page?

Second, I searched for "and v" to find the section you cited... and it's
under "search".  Huh.  Well then.  It would be REALLY super helpful if
there were something under "why" that said "see search for the meaning
of the package state indicators".

Even better would be if the package state indicators were documented
in a separate section, all by themselves, in a *table*, so that they
stand out visually and can't be overlooked.  And then point to that
table from both "search" and "why".