Re: $PATH problem

On 6/11/21 16:48, Gary L. Roach wrote:
Hi all,

Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux 10
KDE Plasma Version: 5.14.5
Qt Version: 5.11.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.54.0
Kernel Version: 4.19.0-16-amd64
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 4 × AMD FX(tm)-4350 Quad-Core Processor
Memory: 15.6 GiB of RAM

I have been trying to install Backuppc on my system and have run into a problem with the $PATH settings. I put the proper path setting in the /etc/environment file which, on login, is supposed to supply that path to all users. This worked fine for gary and root but not Backuppc user. The path for backuppc doesn't have all of the paths needed.

Any suggestions?

Gary R.

My backuppc server has no /etc/environment file.  All the commands needed by backuppc are in its config with full paths to each command.  There is a MyPath setting in the Server Main Configuration Editor settings under Server but the doc says its only for keeping perl happy.  You get to this under the web interface for backuppc.

The Debian install should have fixed all the settings for you so that the server part just works.  You just have to add machines and and tell backuppc what to backup on each machine.

Does the backuppc service run?  You can see if there are any startup problems with

"journalctl -b -ru backuppc"

Each host has a log file and under the Server section there is a log file for backuppc itself.

The backuppc data is stored under /var/lib/backuppc (on my system that is s symbolic link to the actual disk/partition large enough to store all the backed up data, backuppc configs, log files and ssh keys).

--

...Bob