Re: Wiping an unencrypted SSD in preparation for encryption

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 11:01:40AM -0400, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, June 11, 2021 02:49:03 AM Reco wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 11:43:12PM -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> > > I don't bother with the 'discard' option in /etc/fstab, but perhaps I
> > > should.  The fstab(5) and mount(8) manual pages are unclear if
> > > 'discard' applies to swap or ext4.
> >
> > swapon(8):
> >
> >    -d, --discard[=policy]
> > 	  Enable  swap  discards ... The /etc/fstab mount options discard,
> > discard=once, or discard=pages may also be used to enable discard flags.
>
> So, I'm not clear on what happens if you don't use the discard option.

Your swap will work the same as far as the kernel is concerned.

Your drive won't receive TRIM commands for the partition/logical
volume/whatever your swap resides in (on swapping out pages).
Theoretically it could lead to longer swap times, practically swapping
is painful enough to avoid it regardless of the time it takes.

Reco