Re: OT: Strange behavior in Firefox -- google searches start by searching another URL / domain

Thanks for the reply -- not quite, comments interspersed below:

On Monday, June 07, 2021 04:38:24 PM Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 07, 2021 at 04:28:03PM -0400, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> > time) when I go to do a google search, the little message down in the
> > lower left corner of the screen that typically gives messages like
> > (paraphrased): ~"waiting for google.com" or "loading data from
> > google.com" (with variations on the URL) sometimes starts with a
> > completely irrelevant URL (but one that I recognize and that concerns
> > me).
>
> Let's make sure we understand each other completely here.  I believe
> what you are doing is:
>
> 1) Open firefox.  It has a default or nearly-default configuration.
>
> 2) Go to www.google.com.
>
> 3) Search for something.  Doesn't matter what.

What I see is happening while the google search result page is "populating"
(or actually waiting for it to start populating), the first thing I see
(sometimes) is something like ~"waiting for buckslib.org"

You don't have to go any further (i.e., to your step 4, the problem I see
occurs before that).  Aside: I am familiar with the behavior you describe
below, the redirecting through www.google.com first.

(For now, I haven't deleted the following.)