Re: Complaints from mousepad.

On Sun, Jun 06, 2021 at 11:22:52AM -0700, peter@easthope.ca wrote:
> > How and when do you actually *run* this function?
>
> Invoked from a telnet console running in LinuxAos on the same machine.
> Similar to invoking from a plain text console on another machine on
> the LAN.
>
> (I'm aware that telnet is not secure but the scenario is in a
> Shorewalled system.)

I'm struggling to understand what you've got here.  You're running *two*
operating systems on the same machine... at the same time?  Does this
mean the "LinuxAos" thing is in a virtual machine, or a container, or
something?

> > Is there actually an X session running on :0 at the time?
>
> Always.  LinuxAos is a graphical application.

Is it an application?  Or is it an operating system?

> Now tried this analogue.  Start mousepad from a ssh console on another
> machine on the LAN.
>
> No dconf-WARNING but this message is spewed.
>
> (mousepad:13080): Gtk-WARNING **: 10:57:15.680: Theme parsing error:
> <data>:2:29: The style property GtkButton:default-border is deprecated
> and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

> My conclusion: the ssh process handles something right for dconf.
> LinuxAos fails to do that.

Start at the beginning.  You're running Debian on the actual machine
itself, right?  And in Debian, you're running an X session, either
started by startx, or started by some sort of Display Manager?

>From host C on the LAN, you ssh into Debian (call that host A).  From
within the ssh session on host A, you type "met" to run this function?
And it works.

Now, on the other hand, you have this "LinuxAos" thing, which I'm going
to tentatively call "host B", even though I don't really know whether
it counts as a separate host or not.  And some part of host B is a telnet
client, and you use this telnet client to login to host A, and again,
you type "met", but this time it doesn't work?

Is that the full picture?

I think at bare minimum we need an understanding of what "LinuxAos" is
to even understand the architecture you've got here, before we can try
to debug it.