Re: Nvidia graphic card and newer kernels (open source driver)

This is a bit old, but...

On 2021-04-24 15:37:28 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> Vincent Lefevre composed on 2021-04-24 21:05 (UTC+0200):
>
> > Yes, very bad experience with the nouveau driver (I haven't tried
> > recently with the latest kernels, but my bug reports remained
> > unanswered), which is the only free driver I know. In particular,
> > it is unusable with my laptop and an external screen, as being
> > awfully slow (just for basic desktop use, such as scrolling and
> > moving windows).
>
> That description sounds exactly like you were *not* using the
> nouveau X driver. What you describe is what is expected from using
> the VESA and FBDEV drivers, the fallback you get if you use
> nomodeset or nouveau.modeset=0 to boot, or if the nouveau kernel
> driver is blacklisted, or if NVidia drivers and their configuration
> files have been incompletely purged.

I had posted an excerpt of lshw output, and it was saying:

           *-display
                product: GK208GLM [Quadro K610M]
                vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
                physical id: 0
                bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
                version: a1
                width: 64 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
                configuration: driver=nouveau latency=0
                resources: irq:37 memory:d1000000-d1ffffff memory:70000000-7fffffff memory:80000000-81ffffff ioport:5000(size=128) memory:c0000-dffff

And I don't see why the kernel would choose to use a different driver
when there are 2 screens enabled.