Re: Strange emacs behavior after upgrade to bullseye

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 03:59:00PM +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:

> Yes, correct, its mounted through virtualbox (vboxsf) and the host is a window
> system which uses NTFS (I think). From a permission perspective 777 should be
> sufficient though. The question is why does emacs think that is not enough, and
> opens it as read-only? And even if I toggle the read-only mode, it complains
> while writing...

Because the error says it cannot use LOCKS.

Because you can't do Unix file locking on a non-Unix file system.

The error does NOT say "Permission denied".

It says "Operation not permitted".  That's a COMPLETELY different thing.
It has nothing to do with Unix file permissions,  If you had an error
related to Unix file permissions, it would have said "Permission denied".

You get "Operation not permitted" whenever you try to do something you
can't do, for any reason OTHER than Unix file permissions.  For example,
if you try to listen on a port below 1024 when you don't have that
capability.  Or if you try to mount a file system when you don't have
that capability.

Or if you try to use Unix file locking on a non-Unix file system.